TEGNA – ABC10 | Investigative & Special Projects Reporter
Sacramento, California. February 2020 – Present.
TEGNA | National Digital Video Producer/Reporter
Washington D.C. April 2018 – February 2020.
- Used visual storytelling to create original, interesting journalism for mobile, social, digital and broadcast audiences for TEGNA (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) local stations nationwide.
- Launched the HeartThreads Documentary video series. HeartThreads is a TEGNA vertical dedicated to telling uplifting, inspirational stories. I researched and discovered stories that fit the HeartThreads brand then produced (researched, scripted, filmed, interviewed, edited) high-quality documentary style stories. These videos and articles were published and broadcasted on-air, online and on social media nationwide to TEGNA stations and viewed by millions.
- Wrote AP style articles in an exciting, thought provoking, authentic manner.
- Conducted interviews, directed crews, filmed, scripted, edited and voiced over video stories.
- Reported and turned video stories under a tight deadline as well as complex, long form pieces that took months to research and report.
- Curated a digital and social plan that led to over 45 million views and 700,000 followers on Facebook Watch during my first year at HeartThreads.
- Wrote social copy and handled publishing HeartThreads content nationwide to all TEGNA stations’ websites and social media pages.
TEGNA – NBC Charlotte | Digital Producer/Reporter
Tegna owned station, WCNC TV – Charlotte, North Carolina. August 2016 – April 2018.
- Served as NBC Charlotte’s sole “creative producer” in generating original videos & stories for digital platforms. This required the ability to be highly motivated & self-driven as I would find my own stories and work on them from conception through completion.
- Discovered important, engaging stories within the Charlotte community then pitched, shot, wrote, and edited the social media video and web article. Multiple stories went viral and were picked up for network, national and worldwide news.
- Used strong editorial judgement on a daily basis when reporting breaking news for multiple social/digital outlets while on a strict deadline.
- Balanced long-term projects while managing breaking news, social media posts and keeping all online stories current.
NBC News | TODAY Show Intern
NBC News Los Angeles Bureau – Universal City, California. Spring 2016
- Supported show producers with researching and developing show segments/ideas.
- Assisted & shadowed producers during press conferences, The Oscars, field shoots and show filming in Los Angeles.
CNN | Newsource Intern
CNN Los Angeles Bureau – Hollywood, California. Fall 2015
- Researched, edited video & wrote multiple broadcast news stories daily for CNN, HLN and national affiliates.
- Wrote, produced, tracked and edited Movie Pass segments for CNN and world wide affiliates. Movie Pass is a minute to two minute segment featuring a block buster film that will be released within the week.
- Assisted producers in curating content for CNN, HLN and affiliate shows including The Buzz, Hollywood Express, Newsflash, Red Carpet Report & Daily Share.
CNN | Production Intern
CNN World Headquarters – Atlanta, Georgia. Summer 2015
- Created content for Turner Private Networks, CNN’s Airport Network, Gas Station Television & Accent Health.
- Story conception, field production, research, writing & editing in a fast paced news environment.
- Pitched, produced, wrote, reported & edited a CNN Accent Health segment & PSA for non-profit client.
College Beat Productions | Executive Producer
Long Beach, California. September 2014 – May 2015
- Conceptualized, created, produced, directed, filmed and edited PSA & creative video projects for California State University, Long Beach.
- Executive Producer of Senate in a Minute, ASI’s bi-weekly television/web series.
- Lead a film team and oversaw all pre and post production aspects.
KBVR “Beaver News” | Anchor & Crew Member
Corvallis, Oregon. September 2010 – May 2011
- Anchor. Oregon State University’s live evening news broadcast from a three-camera studio.
Awards and Qualifications:
- 2020 Emmy Award Winner for Investigative Single Report | Police prone position investigation: Unchanged policies cost lives and taxpayer money | Northern California Area Emmy Awards
- 2020 Emmy Award Winner for Politics/Government/Societal Concerns – Long Form Content | Sacramento district attorney has never charged a police officer since she was elected. And she’s not alone. | Northern California Area Emmy Awards
- 2019 Emmy Award Nominee for 2 x Serious Feature News Report | Artists covers racist tattoos for free, Man changes lives for kids in foster care | The National Academy of Television, National Capital Chesapeake Bay Chapter
- 2019 Emmy Award Nominee for Business Segment | 91-year-old invents dog wheelchairs | The National Academy of Television, National Capital Chesapeake Bay Chapter
- 2019 Emmy Award Nominee for Health/Science Segment | Tattoo artists creates nipples for breast cancer survivors | The National Academy of Television, National Capital Chesapeake Bay Chapter
- 2019 Emmy Award Nominee for Education/Schools Segment | Immigrant teacher educates through dance | The National Academy of Television, National Capital Chesapeake Bay Chapter
- 2018 Emmy Award Nominee for Serious Feature News Report | Mr. Rogers was a lifesaver | The National Academy of Television, National Capital Chesapeake Bay Chapter
- Five time Edward R. Murrow Award winner – 2017 Excellence in Social Media for Teacher Handshake story, 2016/17/18 Best Website reporting for WCNC.com and 2017 Overall Excellence in Social Media at WCNC
- Winner of the Tegna Pinnacle Award for Excellence in Social Media
- 2018 RTDNAC/AP Award Winner for Original Web Reporting for Fly-Fishing Program Helps Vets Heal
- CSULB “Striking Student Leader” Award
- 5 x CSULB President’s Honor List (3.75 – 4.0 GPA)
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Shooting video on DSLR, Canon C100, Sony FS5 + 7
- Certified by Turner Broadcasting in iNews, MIRA, Sony ELC, NewsApps, Mediasource, Fork & CMS
- Creative writing, news writing and copy writing. Extremely comfortable with AP style.
- Digital analytics via Chartbeat & Crowdtangle
California State University, Long Beach | Long Beach, California
- Bachelor of Arts in Film & Electronic Arts – Specialty in Broadcast Productions.
Cuesta College | San Luis Obispo, California
- Associates Degree in Liberal Arts & Humanities.